Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jamay Takes Florence!

How many people can say that they are lucky enough to be able to spend a week exploring Florence with their sister? Probably not too many.  Jamie and I both agreed that this was probably the best week of our lives and that we will never forget it (thanks for mommy and daddy!!!)

With so much to do and so little time, we had to get started right away. After anxiously awaiting Jamie’s arrival all morning, she somehow managed to make it completely by herself all the way from Michigan (and a casual pit stop in Amsterdam….) to Santa Croce! Once we lugged her giant suitcase up my 76 stairs, it was time to start our adventure.


Since I am VERY behind on my blog posts (who knew that I would actually have to spend time studying for midterms in between jetting off to a different country every weekend?!) and pressed for time, I am going to give you the summarized version of our incredible week.  Although Jamie was only here for 5 days…she did Florence right. 

Jamie, Staci, and I all agreed that Sunday was 100% absolutely the best day of our entire lives.  The sun was shining, Jamie was here, and everything was basically, well… perfect.  

Between getting Jamie’s first Panini…



 To walking over the Ponte Vecchio…


 To seeing the gorgeous Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens (we could have laid here all day long…)



To our first (of MANY....) gelato cones (Staci finally got her gelato cone on a sunny day!!)


To casual cappuccinos on La Terrazza rooftop CafĂ©…


To watching the sunset at Piazzale Michelangelo with a bottle of wine…



A quick impromptu vespa ride….(whoops)



And the perfect end to the perfect day…obviously, Gusta Pizza. (looks like Jamie hated it...)


Doesn’t get much better than that, huh?

Although nothing could quite ever live up to Sunday, the rest of our trip wasn’t too shabby.  Since we have been traveling so much, I haven’t even gotten to see half of the tourist attractions yet! Jamie was the perfect exploring partner.

In just a few short days we managed to see the food market (duh. And got fresh sqeezed OJ!), check out the leather market, see the Gucci Museum and the Ferragammo Museum (which had an incredible Marilyn Monroe exhibit that we loved!), finally see the David at the Galleria de Academia (Jamie found her husband), buy a Leather Jacket from the infamous Massimo (who is now our best friend…see pic below),  take a quick carousel ride, almost get attacked by a scary clown, have our first experience going out at Space (a big Saturday night club here) with a late night stop to the secret bakery (or two…), and of course – Climb the Duomo (even though it was pouring rain when we got to the top…)!!!


BFF'S



Who are all of these Italians?!





On top of the world!
Oh, but let’s not forget the most important thing we did while Jamie was here….EAT! C’mon guys, she was only here for 5 days…I had to make sure I fed her well! Although it was very stressful for me to plan in order to make sure we would hit all of the best spots, we somehow pulled it off.  

Since I don’t have time to tell you about every single meal, I’ll stick to the highlights:

1) The best pasta we’ve ever eaten in our entire lives: Rigatoni Pomodoro from Tredici Gobbi.  Incredible.

11)   The best meal we’ve ever eaten in our entire lives: La Giostra.  I wish I was exaggerating.  On Jamie’s last night, I decided to take her to the restaurant that everyone says is the “best restaurant in Florence” that you are supposed to wait to go to with your parents…but since Jamie won’t be here when my parents come, there was no way I was letting her get jipped!  We both agree, that La Giostra definitely lived up to the hype.  


Here's how we did it:

After our giant platter of complementary appetizers and glass of sparkling wine…we started off with the Buratta, honey, and grapefruit appetizer.  There is no better way to describe it than with the words of Jamie Korn: “Oh my god, there is a party in my mouth”


Next we had our two pasta dishes: Spaghetti Bolognese and the infamous Pear Ravioli.


Next was the apple chicken...


And finally… Tiramisu.

I’d say we did pretty well, huh? Yeah, I can see your mouth watering.  But I guess Jamie hadn’t had enough, we had to send her on the plane home with a Sandwich from her favorite Panini place – Antico Noe (shout out Aunt Caryn!!)


I think this may have been the best week in Florence so far – it will be very hard to top this one! We were very sad to see Jamie leave and we miss her already!!!! Good thing we didn’t have too much time to be sad, because we jetted off to Barcelona only a few hours after! Stay tuned to hear about our Barcelona Adventures!



Ciao for now!
Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment